It is not uncommon for people to lead seemingly normal lives during the week and engage in recreational drug or alcohol use on weekends without giving a second thought about the consequences. Many of these individuals spend much of their lives in denial, refusing to believe that they are addicted.
We often don’t take the time to understand alcohol and drug related deaths until a celebrity dies. The following list includes some of the most common Hollywood drug overdoses.
- Chloral hydrate and benzodiazepine overdose. Chloral hydrate overdose symptoms can include blood vessel dilation, deep stupor, slowed respiration, and decrease in body temperature and blood pressure. A benzodiazepine overdose rarely results in death unless it is combined with another drug overdose. Anna Nicole Smith died at age 40 from an overdose of this drug combination.
- Drug intoxication with a serious disease. Any drug overdose becomes substantially more serious when a person is also suffering from a severe illness. Brittany Murphy died at age 32 from pneumonia, with secondary factors of multiple drug intoxication and iron-deficiency anemia.
- Combined drug toxicity. A combination drug toxicity is almost always more serious than a single drug overdose. When a drug is taken in combination with other substances, it is not uncommon for there to be new symptoms or heightened existing symptoms. Heath Ledger died at age 28 from a combined toxicity due to alprazolam, diazepam, doxylamine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, and temazepam.
- Barbiturate overdose. Symptoms of a barbiturate overdose include severe drowsiness and sluggishness and an altered level of consciousness. Judy Garland died from this overdose at age 47.
- Alcohol poisoning. When a person consumes excessive quantities of alcohol over a short period of time, body temperature, heart rate, breathing, and gag reflex can all be affected. Amy Winehouse died at age 27 from fatal alcohol poisoning.